WeChat: ‘Invalid Phone Number’ Error Fixed
Frustrated by WeChat saying your phone number is invalid? Don’t stress! We’ve got the answers below.
WeChat is an instant messaging app developed in China. It is a micro-messaging platform that allows its users to access social media and make mobile payments. In 2018, it became one of the largest mobile apps, harboring a surplus of 1 billion active users. WeChat is also called China’s “app for everything” as it offers users a multitude of functions to benefit from, such as; video chat, voice calls, and text chat.
WeChat’s Invalid Phone Number Problem
If you are receiving WeChat’s invalid phone number message, note that the phone number or number(s) you entered or provided in the login process are creating an error in the app’s server. The provided number will result in an inability to log in or access the account you are trying to make.
When receiving this message, one can follow some simple troubleshooting tips to try to solve the problem. Following the troubleshooting tips found in the Causes & Solutions section will allow you to discern which one of these instances may be the issue with the invalid phone number message problem.
Causes & Solutions
The troubleshooting tips found below reveal some causes of receiving WeChat’s invalid phone number message. Instances such as this include the incorrect entry of a mobile number, the use of a landline number, SMS verification being sent in excess to a device, or the use of a new phone number than the one registered.
In addition, if your provider does not allow SMS messages, or you have a poor connection or anti-virus blocking feature, this will result in your phone number appearing as invalid with the platform. See the sections below to figure out which instance may apply to your situation.
Phone Number Entry Errors
To solve this problem, you will need to check how you entered the phone number when trying to register for the new account. This problem can also occur with an already established account.
Here are some troubleshooting tips for double-checking what you have entered in the registration process:
- The region or area code of the mobile phone number may have been set improperly while registering. Check that it matches the region your mobile number is located in.
- Ensure that your phone number has been entered correctly. Double-check that it matches your number; if there are any mistakes, correct them.
- If you enter a landline phone number in the registry process, you will be unable to register with this type of number. Enter a mobile, cellular, or non-VoIP number instead.
WeChat Doesn’t Accept VoIP Numbers
A VoIP phone number is a number that is assigned to you when you sign up or register for a VoIP service. This service is a technology method that delivers voice communication through the internet. These VoIP services offer features that are not available with a traditional phone. These numbers cannot be used to sign up on WeChat.
If you receive an invalid phone number message, double-check that your phone number is not a VoIP number. If it is, you will need to use a different phone number, as these types of numbers are not accepted by the platform to register or create a new account.
Errors in the Verification Process
Another occurrence in the WeChat invalid phone number problem may be that there have been some errors in the verification process. WeChat uses SMS verification to confirm your identity and protect your account.
Here are some troubleshooting tips to check to solve the problem:
- If you clicked “send” on the SMS verification one too many times, your phone number would not be able to be verified at this high frequency of sent SMS messages. There is a limitation on how many SMS verification messages can be sent to one number per day. If you find this instance to be the case, you will need to try and register at a later time in the day or on the following day.
- Also, you will need to turn off any blocking features or anti-virus apps on your phone that block SMS messages. These features will prevent you from receiving SMS verification.
Phone Number Linked to Another Account
You may need to check if the phone number you used to register has already been registered to another account. You cannot register the same number to multiple accounts, as this will cause verification issues with the server.
See the troubleshooting tips located below to solve this problem:
- You will need to log in through another method if you have a new phone number. Alternative approaches are through the password option. Once logged in, update your phone number immediately, as you need a valid phone number to verify the SMS verification message.
- If you have already registered your mobile or cellular phone number with another account, you can sign up for a temporary number to register with another account. This will allow you to register for an unlimited number of accounts, and you will not need to fret about your phone number being rejected from the site.
An Error With Your SMS Provider
Another problem when registering for an account or verifying your phone number with WeChat is issues with your SMS provider. Confirm that your mobile number can receive SMS messages. To do this, you will need to ensure that your provider allows SMS messages and that you have a strong cellular network connection.
What to Do Next?
If following these tips did not resolve your issue, you can reach out to the WeChat help center by clicking here. Click on the link here to sign up for a temporary phone number for SMS WeChat verification and login purposes.